NMMS Scholarship 2019-20: NMMS (National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship) is a scholarship funded by the Central Government. It is overseen by the Department of School Education and Literacy, under the Ministry of Human Resource Development. The primary goal of the scholarship is to provide financial assistance to meritorious students from economically backward sections of society. MCM Scholarship is offered by the Government of India.
NMMS Scholarship also aims to reduce the rate of dropouts at the secondary level by awarding deserving students an amount of INR 12,000 per annum. The application window opens from November every year, students are requested to access the application form from the official portal. Over 1,00,000 scholarships are disbursed annually.
NMMS 2019 is among the many scholarships tasked with providing educational support to underprivileged students. Such aid is necessary for today’s society. Providing basic education to all students is one of the many ways to eliminate poverty and unemployment. This will lead to a better society and a better future for our nation.
NMMS Scholarship – Overview
|Objective||To arrest the dropout rate of students at Class 8 and encourage them to continue their education at the secondary level|
|Amount of Scholarship Award||INR 12,000 per annum|
|Eligibility Criteria||Class 9 students that secured not less than 55% marks in class 8th final exam|
|Application Window||July to October (tentative)|
|Application Procedure||Online, through the National Scholarship Portal|
|Selection Procedure||Written Test (Mental Aptitude and Scholastic Aptitude)|
NMMS Scholarship Important Dates
|Application Opens Till||15th November 2019|
|Defective Verification Upto||30th November 2019|
|Institution Verification Upto||30th November 2019|
NMMS Amount of Scholarship Awarded
The scholarship awards eligible candidates INR 12,000 over the course of 12 months (INR 1,000 per month). The amount is transferred directly to the student’s account by the State Bank Of India through PFMS (Public Financial Management System). There are nearly 1,00,000 slots and each state is allotted scholarships based on the number of students enrolled in classes 7 and 8. However, only the students of class 9 will receive the scholarship amount and it is renewed every year until the student reaches class 12. Candidates still need to get promoted to be eligible though.
NMMS Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
This scholarship is applicable to meritorious students from economically weaker sections of society. However, there are other eligibility criteria that the students need to fulfill:
- Applicable for students of class 9
- The students of class 9 must have cleared class 7 and 8 with at least 55% marks
- Candidates must be pursuing class 9 from a government or a government-aided school
- For the scholarship to be renewed to class 11, students need to secure a minimum of 60% marks
- Similarly, if the scholarship is to be continued to class 12, students have to secure at least 55% marks in class 11.
- Candidates belonging to SC/ST will be given a relaxation of 5%
- The candidate’s annual income from all sources should not exceed INR 1,50,000
- Students enrolled in Sainik schools, KVS, NVS and private schools are not eligible.
NMMS Scholarship Application Window
Based on past trends, the scholarship period begins in July and concludes by the end of October. However, dates and subject to change as per the convenience of the authoritative body.
NMMS Scholarship Application Procedure
Students can apply for NMMS Scholarship 2019 Apply Online through the National Scholarship Portal provided they fulfill all eligibility criteria.
- The National Scholarship Portal can be accessed at https://scholarships.gov.in/
- Candidates are required to register as New Users on the portal
- Fill in the relevant fields and verify before proceeding to the next step
- The portal will then generate an application ID. This will also be used as the login ID on the portal.
- Class 9 and 10 students need to select the Pre-Matric Scholarship type wheres class 11 and 12 students need to select the Post-Matric Scholarship type.
- Fill the relevant fields and cross-verify before proceeding
- Upload relevant documents
- Cross verify all information and make changes if necessary. Click submit once the form is thoroughly checked.
NMMS Scholarship Selection Procedure
Candidates will have to undergo a selection test to be eligible for the scholarship. The test includes two sections and a maximum duration of 90 minutes. Students will special needs are given more time to finish the test.
Mental Ability Test (MAT)
- 90 multiple-choice questions
- Specifically tests critical thinking and reasoning abilities of the candidates
Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)
- 90 multiple-choice questions
- Syllabus topics from class 7 and 8
NMMS Scholarship Results
- Candidates will have to secure at least 40% marks in each of the tests.
- Candidates falling under reserved categories will have to secure 32%.
- Candidates will be selected only if they fulfill all other eligibility criteria mentioned above.
FAQ’s on NMMS Scholarship
What is the amount of given as per the NMMS?
INR 12,000 per annum
When is the application period starting?
The period starts from July to October (tentative)
How do I apply online?
Visit the National Scholarship Portal at https://scholarships.gov.in/ and click on new registration. Fill the relevant details and click submit.
What is the selection procedure for NMMS?
Students will have to clear a series of tests and secure at least 40% marks.
You can also find more Scholarship Articles for 12th passed, 10th passed Students and many more.