GAT exam is conducted by GITAM University, Bangalore for admissions to its various courses. It is a computer-based test conducted online. The application forms can be filled online as well as offline. The exam is conducted in the month of April (Tentatively).
The exam pattern and eligibility criteria for undergraduate and postgraduate courses are different. The exam is conducted at 50 different centers across the country. Read on to explore details about GAT, its eligibility criteria, exam pattern, and other relevant information.
The online registration is done in the following steps:
- Go to the official website.
- Fill in the required details and click on submit.
- Upload a passport-sized scanned photograph.
- Preview the entire application form.
- Click on ‘final submit’.
- Make the payment through credit card, debit card or net banking.
- A confirmation page will be generated.
- Take the printout of the application form.
Offline registration is done as follows:
- The application forms are made available at Union bank, Vysya bank, Indian bank. It can also be obtained directly from the university via post, accompanied by the name of the candidate, complete mailing address, and a demand draft of Rs. 150.
- The filled application form should sent on the following address;
Director of Admissions,
Gandhi Nagar Campus,
Andhra Pradesh – 530045
GAT Application Fees
The application fees is INR 800 that can be paid both online and offline.
GAT Eligibility Criteria
- Only Indian citizens are allowed to appear for the exam.
- The candidate should have passed 12th from a recognized board.
- For engineering courses, the candidate should have scored an aggregate of 60% in Physics, Chemistry, Maths.
- For engineering in Biotechnology, the candidate should have scored 60% marks in Physics, Chemistry, Maths/Biology.
- For pharmacy courses, the candidate should have scored 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, Maths/Biology.
- For architecture courses, the candidate should have scored 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, Maths/Biology.
GAT Admit Card
- The admit is made available on the official website in the month of April (tentatively).
- To download the admit card the candidates should log in to the official website.
- Enter the application number and date of birth.
- Click on login button.
- The admit card will appear on the screen.
- Download and take the print out.
GAT Exam Pattern
GAT is a computer-based test conducted online for a duration of 120 minutes. The test comprises 100 objective type questions. The questions are divided into three different sections – Physics, Chemistry, Maths/Biology. The test is for 400 marks. 4 marks are awarded for every correct answer and 1 mark is deducted for every wrong answer.
The candidates need to be aware of the examination pattern. They can solve mock test papers and sample papers for a better understanding of the exam pattern.
The GAT results are made available online on the official website in the month of April (tentatively). The results can be downloaded in the following manner.
- Go to the official website.
- Login with the application number and date of birth.
- Click on ‘about us’ and select ‘counselling for admission’.
- Click on ‘GAT Result’ link. The result page will open.
- Fill in the date of birth and admit card number and submit.
- The score card will appear on the screen.
- The candidates can download the result and take a print out.
- The counselling tentatively begins in the second week of May.
- The candidates eligible for counselling are sent counselling letters with date and time for the counselling.
- The letter has to be downloaded from the website and carried to the counselling center.
- Seats are allotted on the basis of merit and the preferences filled by the candidates.
- A counselling fees of Rs. 800 has to be paid by the candidates. The fees is non-refundable.
- The candidates who have topped in the board exams will be given direct admissions in the courses and campuses of their choice.
- The candidates need to present the original documents at the time of counselling for verification.
- The documents include – GAT counselling letter, 10th and 12th pass certificate, transfer certificate, medical certificate, category certificate.
GAT is a gateway to one of the renowned institutes of the country. The candidates who cannot make it in IIT-JEE can get admissions in one of the best institutes through GAT. However, it is not an easy nut to crack. The candidates need to prepare well for the examination. They should be thorough with the class 11th and 12th syllabus. Mock test series and sample papers can help them to prepare well. The candidates can also consult the candidates who have already passed the examination. They can give them some tips that can help them ace the examination.
Frequently Asked Questions of GAT
What is GAT?
GAT is a university-level entrance exam conducted by GITAM University, Bangalore, for admissions to its various undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
When will the GAT exam be conducted?
The GAT exam was supposed to be conducted from 11th to 21st April. However, the exam has been postponed due to COVID-19. The new dates will be announced soon.
How can a candidate apply for GAT?
The candidates can apply both online and offline for GAT. The online forms are available on the official website, whereas, the offline forms can be obtained from the Director of Admission, GITAM University or from the nearby branches of Union Bank, Indian Bank and Vysya Bank.
Which topics are generally asked in GAT?
The question from Physics, Chemistry and Maths are asked in the GAT exam. The candidates should be thorough with the topics taught in class 11th and 12th.