STS Scholarship 2020: The applications for STS Scholarship are invited from interested MBBS/BDS students, On behalf of Prof. Balram Bhargava, Director General, Indian Council of Medical Research and Secretary, Department of Health Research. STS stands here for Short Term Studentship.
The ICMR launched the Short Term Studentship Program in 1979 to encourage interest and aptitude for analysis among medical undergraduates. The principal aim of this plan is to provide a chance for undergraduate medical trainees to get familiar themselves with research methodology and procedures by being linked with a short span with their superiors on ongoing research programs or by undertaking independent projects. It was supposed that this may assist as an inspiration for them to take up research as a profession in the future.
Since the last 37 years, medical UG students of various medical institutes in the nation have shown extreme interest in ICMR Short Term Studentship (STS) program. The ICMR has decided to extend this program by awarding the limited number of studentships to exemplary MBBS/BDS students for the year 2020 from MCI/DCI recognized Medical/Dental Colleges.
About 1500 students (1200 seats- MBBS and 300 seats- BDS) will be granted STS in Jan 2021 after the Report submission and review for the year 2020.
STS Scholarship Karnataka Dates
The student is obliged to register on ICMR website ONLINE commencing from 10th December 2019 till 9th January 2020 (by 3:00 pm), the application form and STS research proposal to be submitted online from 10th January 2020 to 27th January 2020 (by 3:00 pm) which will be then examined by the ICMR.
The results will be published in April 2020 and the list of selected students to undertake STS research work will be presented on the STS website. The chosen students are required to build the project in any two given months between April to September 2020 and submit the report before the last date of submission i.e. 16th October 2020 (Wednesday by 3:00 pm).
|Registration Start date||10th December 2019|
|Registration Closing date||9th January 2020|
|Application form submission start date||10th January 2020|
|Application form submission closing date||27th January 2020|
|Declaration of result||April 2020|
|Last date to submit the research report by students||16th October 2020|
STS Karnataka Scholarship Rewards
The amount of the studentship is Rs. 10,000/- per month for two months’ duration (Rs. 20,000/- only) and is intended to be a pay for the student. This is given only after the achievement of the research and the permission of the final report. Expenses of research must be supported by Institution/ Medical/Dental College where the research is carried.
A certificate will be dispensed and posted to the Principal’s/College office after 6-8 months of Report results are published in Jan 2021. The Certificate will be dispensed only to the Student whose report will get chosen. However, the Guide can keep a xerox/scan copy of the same.
The student will be awarded a stipend and certificate only if his/her STS report is approved by ICMR. The Institution must provide the student with all the facilities for carrying out research. The value of the studentship from 2020 is Rs. 10,000/- per month for two month’s duration (Total Rs. 20,000/- only) and is meant to be a stipend for the student.
STS Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
- Only for MBBS/BDS students of Medical/Dental colleges recognized by MCI/DCI are eligible before they arrive for their final exams.
- Interns or PG students are not eligible to apply.
- Students of paramedical/non-medical courses may not apply.
- Indian National students who are studying in approved medical/dental colleges of India can apply.
- Students who are carrying OCI cards/PIO cards/NRI’s studying in Indian medical/dental college can also apply and a copy of the OCI/PIO/NRI card must be submitted.
- Students from foreign medical/dental colleges are not qualified for this program.
The students must bring out the research in their own medical/dental college under the guide who is employed in the medical college as a faculty. Only permanent full-time faculty members working in any of the Department of the Medical/Dental College where the student is enrolled can act as the guide. Part-time consultants/visiting faculty/ residents/ Tutors/ Pool officers/ PG students cannot be the guide.
Only one student will be allowed to work under one guide. Two or more students are not permitted to work on the same topic together. Proposals submitted on the same topic by different students are liable to be rejected outright. The student may have one Guide and other Co-Guides. However, ICMR will recognize only ONE main Guide for all purposes.
STS Scholarship Application Procedure
STS Scholarship Apply online:
- STS is a fully online program. No hard copies have to be submitted.
- The student is required to register on the ICMR website in the month of mid-December and then submit the application form and proposal online by January every year which will be evaluated by ICMR.
- Students are requested to visit the ICMR website (www.icmr.nic.in) and comply with instructions updated from time to time about the STS program.
- Students who were unable to complete their STS project can re-apply for the next STS program with the same project. However, it will not be given any special preference and will be treated as a fresh/ new application.
- For queries send an email at [email protected] and please quote the Reference ID in all your e-mail correspondence for quick reference.
STS Scholarship Selection Process
- Results will be declared in April and the list of elected student’s names presented on the website.
- If chosen, the student is demanded to accomplish the project in any two given months between April and September each year and present the report before the last date of submission.
- The students will be granted a stipend and certificate only if their report is approved.
- The last date of registration and submission of the proposal each year is during the second half of January.
- The choice of the applicants for the award of research studentship will be done after the technical evaluation of the research plan by a committee of experts.
- The arrangement of ICMR in regard to the selection of students will be final.
- Appeals for reconsideration will not be considered and reasons for refusal of applications for the award of the studentship will not be provided.
STS Scholarship Important Instructions
- The guide must take overall responsibility for the conduct of the research project, preparation, and submission of the complete report & the required enclosures within the stipulated time period.
- The student should get permission from the Institutional Ethics Committee (IEC) if the program involves research on human participants and from Institutional Animal Ethics Committee (IAEC) if the work involves the use of animals.
- The IEC/ IAEC permission should be received any time between January–April before starting actual research work.
- On approval of the STS Report, the stipend will be paid through RTGS and will be transferred to the student’s own single holder nationalized bank account number. Joint Accounts (parents/guides) will not be accepted.
- The certificate may be presented either along with the project or with the report. Informed consent is to be collected for research on human participants. For more details please refer to ICMR National Ethical Guidelines for Biomedical and Health Research on Human Participants, 2017 and National Ethical Guidelines for Biomedical Research Involving Children respectively.
FAQ’s on STS Scholarship
When do the STS scholarship registrations begin?
The STS registration begins every year around 10th December and continues for one month.
How do I choose the topic for my research?
Students are free to choose any topic from the list of topics given in the application process depending on their interest related to medical research. The topic should be relevant and should lead to the creation of new knowledge or help in gaining new knowledge or skills by the student. Research should not be carried out on well established/known facts.
How do I apply online for the STS scholarship?
Please visit the ICMR website (www.icmr.nic.in) and go through all the information/ instructions under the STS link, register your email address and then apply online.
What are the eligibility criteria to apply for STS Scholarship?
STS program is open only to undergraduate medical students (MBBS/BDS) who have not yet appeared in their final exams. Paramedical/dental/non-medical/students of other courses are not eligible.
What is the last date for registration/proposal/report submission?
Information regarding the last date for registration and proposal/report submission is provided on the ICMR website. Kindly note that the last date will not be extended further.
What information is needed at the time of registration?
Registration form is divided into three sections
- Login Details: Student’s active email id and mobile number.
- Course Details: Student name, course, college name and address.
- Personal Details: Student’s date of birth and residence address.
Kindly note that the Guide’s details/ title of proposal/ other details are not required at the time of registration.
When will I receive my stipend?
About 3 months (around May or June) after report results are declared stipend will be transferred through online mechanism into the student’s bank account as per details provided in the online submission form. An email will also be sent to inform the students at that time.
You can also find more Scholarship Articles for 12th passed, 10th passed Students and many more.