PM Scholarship 2019-20: PM Scholarship or Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme (PMSS) is a scholarship scheme that strives at promoting higher professional and technical studies for the dependent wards and widows of Central Armed Police Forces & Assam Rifles (CAPFs & AR) and State Police Personnel. Initiated in the year 2006-07, this scheme is run by the Welfare and Rehabilitation Board, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. This scheme has by far affected lakhs of students and helped many of them pursue their dream careers easily.
The Government of India (GOI) has recently introduced major changes in the scholarship by revising the scholarship reward amount for girls from Rs.2,250 to Rs.3,000 per month and for boys from Rs.2,000 to Rs.2,500 per month. Additionally, 500 new scholarships will also be given to the wards of State Police officials who were martyred in terror or Naxal attacks. Under PM Modi Scholarship Scheme, 25000 Rs scholarship offering to 10th or 12th pass students by Narendra Modi. PM Scholarship Scheme for 12th pass students is Rs. 25000.
PM Scholarship Scheme for 10th pass students is Rs. 25000. Now let us know the benefits offered to students under PM scholarship. PM Scholarship renewal last date is 15 November 2020. Also, with that, we will see here the eligibility criteria, application procedure and other related details in this article.
The Government of India has recently approved major changes in the scholarship by revising the scholarship amount for girls from INR 2,250 to INR 3,000 per month and scholarship amount for boys from INR 2,000 to INR 2,500 per month. Adding to this, 500 new scholarships will also be given to the wards of State Police officials who are/were martyred in Naxal or terror attacks.
PM Scholarship Dates
Since Candidate have got an overview of the PM Scholarship, let us get through the important dates for this scheme, where Candidate will be informed of the date of filing the application form along with the last date, verification of document dates and also when the scholarship amount will be released to the students on their bank accounts. The list given here in the table contains the details of the schedule related to the Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme. While the fresh applications are accepted within a defined time limit, the renewal of applications can be done all through the year.
|Online Registration/Filling of Application Form Begins||July 2020|
|PM Scholarship 2020 Last Date to submit an online application form||15th December 2020|
|Last date for verification of defective applications||31st December 2020|
|Last date for institute verification||31st December 2020|
|Verification of application by CAPFs & AR||1st January 2021 to 15th January 2021|
|Preparation of merit list and Lot generation Phase||16th January 2021 to 26 January 2021|
|Sanctioning of scholarship by R&W Directorate, MHA||27th January 2021 to 5th February 2021|
|Payment file generation||6th February 2021 to 15th February 2021|
|Disbursement of scholarship amount into bank accounts||16th February 2021 to 28th February 2021|
|Dispatch of personal letters from Honourable Prime Minister||15th March 2021|
PM Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
Check the eligibility criteria for the candidates who want to acquire the PM scholarship. If the candidate does not meet the criteria, they will not be able to fill the application form or get the scholarship reward. Only those who fulfill the conditions will be rewarded with the scholarship amount and benefits.
- Candidate should be a dependent ward/widow of deceased CAPFs & AR/ Ex-CAPFs & AR/ retired and serving CAPFs & AR/ State Police Personnel.
- Candidate should be pursuing professional courses. (Not applicable for lateral entry and integrated courses).
- The minimum education qualification to apply for these courses should be class 12/ diploma/ graduation.
- The candidates should have secured at least 60% marks or above in the minimum educational qualification. (For renewal in subsequent years, the Candidates need to obtain at least 50% marks in the qualifying examination).
- As per the latest decision made by the Government of India, the scholarship scheme will also cover the wards of State Police officials who are/were martyred during Naxal/terror attacks. A total of Rs.500 scholarships in a year will be given to the wards of State Police officials.
- Wards of Civilians including Para-Military Personnel are NOT ELIGIBLE.
PM Scholarship Eligible Courses
- First Professional Degree Courses like BE, B.Tech, BDS, MBBS, B.Ed, B.B.A, BCA, B.Pharma, etc. duly recognized by the respective Government Regulatory Bodies, such as All India Council for Technical Education, Medical Council of India, UGC, etc.
- Master Degree Courses are not eligible for PMSS except MBA / MCA Courses.
- Students studying abroad are not eligible for this scheme. No distance learning course is permitted under PMSS. PMSS can be availed for ONE COURSE only.
|Course Name||Duration||Minimum Qualification|
|B.Tech(Bachelor’s in Technology) (All streams)||4 Years||10+2|
|BE(Bachelor’s in Engineering) All streams||4 Years||10+2 or Diploma|
|B.Arch(Bachelor in Architecture)||4 to 5 Years||10+2|
|MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery)||4.5 Years||10+2|
|BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)||5 Years||10+2|
|BAMS (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine Surgery)||4.5 Years||10+2|
|BHMS (Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine Surgery)||4.5 Years||10+2|
|BSMS (Bachelor of Siddha Medicine Surgery)||4.5 Years||10+2|
|BUMS (Bachelor of Unani Medicine Surgery)||5 Years||10+2|
|B.Sc., BPT (Bachelor of Physiotherapy)||4 Years||10+2|
|B.Sc., MLT (Medical Lab Technology)||4 Years||10+2|
|BVSc and AH ( Bachelor of Veterinary Science / Bachelor of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry)||5 Years||10+2|
|B.Pharma (All Streams) (Bachelor of Pharmacy)||4 Years||10+2|
|B.Sc. Nursing||4 years||10+2|
|BNYS (Bachelor of Naturopathy & Yogic Science)||5 Years||10+2|
|Doctor of Pharmacy||4 Years||10+2|
|B.Sc. Optometry||3 Years||10+2|
|Bachelor of Occupational Therapy||4.5 years||10+2|
|MBA (Master of Business Administration)||2 Years||Graduation|
|BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration)||3 Years||10+2|
|BBM (Bachelor of Business Management)||3 Years||10+2|
|BCA (Bachelor of Computer Application)||3 Years||10+2|
|MCA (Master of Computer Application)||3 Years||Graduation|
|B.Plan (Bachelor of Planning)||4 Years||10+2|
|Other Professional Courses|
|B.Sc Agriculture||4 years||10+2|
|BSc Horticulture||4 years||10+2|
|Coy Secretary||4 years||10+2|
|BSc Bio-Tech||3 years||10+2|
|Hotel Management Degree||4 years||10+2|
|BSc Microbiology||3 years||10+2|
|B.Sc HHA||3 years||10+2|
|L.L.B||2 to 3 years||10+2|
|Bachelor of Elementary Education||3 to 5 years||10+2|
|BA L.L.B||5 Years||10+2|
PM Scholarship Scheme 2020 Application Procedure
Let us see now how to apply for PM Scholarship. The method of application form filling. Candidates can apply through online mode for this scheme (PM Scholarship 2020 Application Form). Candidates have to apply through the National Scholarship Portal for the academic year 2020-21. Now, let us see step by step how to apply for pm scholarship 2019-20 application form.
- Visit the official website of NSP @ https://scholarships.gov.in/.
- Click on the “New Registration” link.
- Read the application guidelines carefully and click on continue to proceed.
- Fill in all required details and click on “Register”.
- After getting registered the user id and password will be generated on your mobile number.
Login with User Id and Password
- PM Scholarship Log in to the portal using the application id and password received on your registered mobile number.
- An OTP will be generated on your registered mobile number for a successful login.
- Verify the OTP and change the password.
- Once logged in (PM Scholarship login), fill in the scholarship application form.
- Upload the scanned copy of all supporting documents.
- Finally, submit the application.
PM Scholarship Documents Required
Once the Candidate has completed the application process, they should further know about the necessary documents that candidates need to submit to apply for the Prime Minister Scholarship 2020 Scheme. Candidates have to submit the scanned copies of all the supporting documents after filling the application. Check the list of all supporting documents to provide during PM scholarship application :
- Serving Certificate (in case of serving personnel) issued by HOO
- Certificate issued by the concerned state government indicating that the State Police personnel was killed in Naxal /Terror attacks
- Certificate of Minimum Educational Qualification (MEQ) as applicable – Class 12th mark sheet, Graduation mark sheet (for all years) or diploma mark sheets (for all semesters)
- PPO/Discharge Certificate/Book (Mandatory for Category A to F)
- Death Certificate (Applicable for deceased personnel)
- Disability Certificate (Applicable for disabled personnel)
- Certificate of Gallantry Award (Applicable for Gallantry Award winners)
PM Scholarship Rewards
- The amount of which candidate will receive under the Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme and for how many years the scholarships will be disbursed are the necessary details a candidate should know.
- A total of 5500 eligible candidates get benefit under this scheme every year. And these scholarships are equally distributed among boys and girls, i.e. 2750 each.
- Besides, the amount of the scholarship offered to girls is Rs.3000 per month and to boys is Rs.2500 per month, every year.
- Moreover, the duration of the scholarship may differ from one year to five years depending on your course span.
PM Scholarship Selection Criteria
The criteria that are considered while shortlisting candidates for PM scholarship and the authorities who are responsible for the final selection of students, those details are discussed. For the end-to-end implementation and disbursement of the scheme, the Ministry of Home Affairs is completely responsible. But the preference is given to students in the following order:
- Category A: The first preference is given to the wards and widows of CAPFs & AR personnel who were killed in action.
- Category B: The second preference is given to the wards of Ex-CAPFs & AR personnel who got disabled in action.
- Category C: The third preference is given to the wards and widows of deceased CAPFs & AR personnel who died during their service for causes attributable to Government service.
- Category D: The next preference is given to the wards of Ex-CAPFs & AR personnel who got disabled during their service with disability attributable to Government service.
- Category E: Further, the preference is given to the wards of Ex-CAPFs & AR personnel who have received gallantry awards.
- Category F: The next preference is given to the wards of Ex-CAPFs & AR personnel (PBOR only).
- Category G: Lastly, the preference will be given to the wards of serving CAPFs & AR personnel (PBOR) subject to the availability of the scholarship.
Note: The dependents wards of State Police Personnel who died during Naxal/Terror attacks will also be given preference.
PM Scholarship Renewal
Let us know the renewal procedure for the candidates who want to renew their scholarship. While the selected students will get the reward of the first installment of the PM scholarship as soon as the merit list is declared, the subsequent payments are done only if the scholars apply for the renewal of scholarship at the end of each academic year. Just like the new application, the candidate can also apply for the renewal through online mode. Although to apply for the renewal application, it is necessary for a candidate to fulfill certain criteria that include:
- Candidate should secure at least 50% marks in every semester or academic year.
- Candidates have to pass all the subjects in each year/semester in one attempt.
Candidate can apply for renewal within one year of the declaration of merit list and the applications can be made throughout the year but not between January to April months.
PM Scholarship for Integrated Courses
- Minimum Educational Qualification (MEQ) will be 10+2. However when applying students need to upload mark sheets of 10+2 in all cases, 1st year and 2nd year (all semesters) where 1st course is non-professional.
- There are two types of Integrated Courses (dual degree) which are discussed below :
- Integrated courses (dual degree) that have both the courses as Professional/Technical for example BE+ME, B.Tech+M.Tech, BBA+MBA, etc. In such cases, only the first professional degree will be granted a scholarship.
- Integrated Courses (dual degree) which have a first degree as Academic (Non-Professional) and second degree as Professional/Technical for example BA + LLB, B.Com + LLB, B.Sc.+B.Ed. In such cases, students will be paid for the professional part of the course and not for non – professional/academic part.
- A student pursuing Integrated courses wherein one degree is professional and another degree is non-professional, he/she will be awarded a scholarship for the professional portion of the dual degree course only and not for the academic portion of such course. The same is illustrated with the help of an example as under :
- “In BA+LLB (dual degree course) first degree is BA which is non-professional and 2nd degree is LLB is which is professional. Therefore, scholarship for the professional portion (i.e. LLB) only will be provided.
- When 1st degree is non-professional and 2nd degree is professional, in such cases, while seeking PM scholarship from third year onward student must have completed his previous two years of non-professional course without fail. Repetition/RA/Failure will make students ineligible to apply for a scholarship. A student should clear all the subjects of 1st & 2nd year in the first attempt and within the stipulated time frame from the date of admission, otherwise he/she will not be considered for award of scholarship and application will be rejected.
Important Instructions for Students
- Students to respond in time according to SMS/email received from Kendriya Sainik Board.
- E-mail and Mobile Number mentioned in the application must be of the student. Alternate Mobile Number can be of ESM. E-mail and mobile number once registered should not be changed since all messages being sent to the registered email/mobile number
- During checking of new application if observation raised from ZSB/RSB and KSB is not rectified within the stipulated time frame of 10 days, then the application will be automatically rejected by the system. So ensure that the observation is rectified in time to avoid system rejection of the application.
- During the period from January to May, processing, selection and preparation of merit list of a new application (1st-year students) are being done by KSB. Processing and payment of renewal applications are done as and when received by KSB throughout the year EXCEPT from January to May. Student/ESM to keep in mind the periodicity of checking of application (new and renewal) before raising any query relating to the checking/payment status of applications.
- Student/ESM should log in to the KSB account to check the status of the application. It is to be noted while application status is showing pending to the student dashboard, but on the ground, the application is in the process at different levels/functionaries at KSB.
- Student studying abroad as well as distance learning case is not eligible for PMSS
FAQ’s on PM Scholarship
How to apply for PM Scholarship?
To apply for PMSS, the candidate has to register first to National Scholarship Portal and then fill and submit the application form online.
How to check the status of PM scholarship 2018 19?
Follow the below steps to check the status of scholarship:
- Go to the official portal of scholarship.up.nic.in.
- Click on the “Status” tab on the homepage.
- Put the registration number and date of birth.
- Click on the search button and application status will appear on the screen.
What is the Minimum Educational Qualification In MEQ?
Minimum Educational Qualification (MEQ) for entry into various professional courses differs e.g. for MBBS it is 10+2 whereas for BE/B Tech it is 10+2 / Diploma, for B.Ed and MBA it is graduation qualification. A candidate must have a minimum of 60% marks in MEQ to apply for PM Scholarship Scheme 2020. All subjects will be taken for calculation of 60% marks including optional subjects also and not out of the best subjects.
How to acknowledge the receipt of the scholarship amount?
On receipt of the scholarship amount from KSB, the student is required to update Column 14 of Renewal Application by logging into his/her KSB account using Log ID & Password by entering ‘Date of payment and amount received’ (two separate columns). This is a mandatory audit requirement to get the benefit of PMSS, otherwise, the scholarship will be canceled and the money already paid will be recovered. ‘Save’ button is provided at the bottom of Column 14. This action has to be completed immediately on receipt of the scholarship amount for each installment.