NIOS Admission 2019-20: The National Institute of Open Schooling which was earlier known as National Open School is an autonomous organization. It was founded by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt. of India in 1989 to provide quality and relevant education at the school to pre-degree level. NIOS is an Open and Distance Learning Education (ODL) where students who are working can continue their study to avail of the formal schooling facility. NIOS conducts the 10th and 12th board admissions online in two blocks i.e, Block I and Block II. NIOS admission for Block I starts from 16th March and continues till July 31, 2019, without any late fee. Other than this, students can also apply for NIOS admission on September 15, 2019, with the late fee.
Students must pay the admission fees and also can track the admission status on nios.ac.in. NIOS is responsible to examine and certify learners registered with it up to pre-degree level courses whether Technical, Academic or Vocational. NIOS also offers elementary level courses to the learners through its Open Basic Education Programmes (OBE). Students read this article below to know more about NIOS admission, dates, fees, eligibility, and syllabus, etc.
NIOS Admission Dates 2019-20
NIOS Admission conducts yearly twice. Admissions for block1 is going on and can be applied till the last date. Whereas the admissions for block II will be started from 16th September 2019.
|NIOS Block-I (April – May 2020)||Dates|
|Admission with normal fee||16th March to 31st July 2019|
|A late fee of Rs. 200||1st August to 15th August 2019|
|A late fee of Rs. 400||16th August to 31st August 2019|
|A late fee of Rs. 700||1st September to 15th September 2019|
|NIOS Block-II (October – November 2020)||Dates|
|Admission with normal fee||16th September 2019 to 31st January 2020|
|A late fee of Rs. 200||1st February to 15th February 2020|
|A late fee of Rs. 400||16th February to 28th February 2020|
|A late fee of Rs. 700||1st March to 15th March 2020|
NIOS 2019 Exam Dates
NIOS will release the date sheet for the Block I exam in February 2020. However, the NIOS Block I exam will be conducted in March/April 2020. Whereas the NIOS Block II exam will be conducted in October/ November 2020. In 2019, NIOS 10th exam conducted on 3rd April whereas NIOS 12th exam conducted on 2nd April. The date sheet contains the exam dates for secondary and higher secondary courses offered by NIOS. Last year, NIOS secondary date sheet was released along with a higher secondary date sheet on February 27, 2019.
NIOS Admission Eligibility Criteria
Refer to the below eligibility criteria to get admission in NIOS secondary and higher secondary level.
Class 10 Eligibility Conditions:
- The minimum age of the learner must be 14 years as of July 31, 2019, or born on or before July 31, 2005.
- A learner giving self-certificate saying that I have studied enough to be eligible for admission to the class 10.
- The learner must have completed class 8 from the recognized board.
- The learner who has already studied in class 10 can also search for NIOS admission either to complete the course or to improve the performance.
Class 12 Eligibility Conditions:
- The minimum age of the learner must be 15 years as of July 31, 2019, or born on or before July 31, 2004.
- The learner must have completed class 10 from the recognized board.
NIOS 2019-20 Admission Process
Admission in NIOS offers education universally with the flexibility of self-learning in remote and rural areas. NIOS admission for Block I have already started on 16th March 2019 and will be continued till 15th September 2019, including a late fee. The learners can possess admission online as well as offline. Learners must register themselves to fill the online admission form. Learners can also download, fill the offline admission form and submit it to the NIOS regional center.
NIOS board is similar to CBSE and ICSE boards. So, learners can choose NIOS admission to continue their secondary and senior secondary education to get higher scores. Learners must refer to the below-mentioned procedures for NIOS admission.
- Visit the official website sdmis.nios.ac.in.
- It will go to the homepage of the NIOS portal.
- Go to the Admission menu, select Academic and click on Stream 1 (Block 1 Open) for NIOS registration. See the picture below for registration.
- Go through the instructions mentioned below and enter the Identity No. Then, select the State/UT, Identity Type and Course Applying For options either secondary for 10th and senior secondary for 12th class. See the below-given picture to fill-up the form.
- Click on the submit button and it will go to the Basic Details form.
- Enter address, basic and other information properly and submit to go to the optional details form.
- Fill the optional details correctly and submit them to go to the subject’s form.
- In this form, select the subjects and exam center for the exam.
- Next, upload the scanned copies of the required documents (.jpg or .jpeg files) and submit them for review. The following documents are required to be uploaded.
- Aadhar card or passport or ration card for identity proof.
- Birth Certificate for checking the date of birth.
- Valid residential Address proof (Aadhaar card/Water Bill/Electricity Bill/Voter Id/Ration card).
- Recent passport size color photo with the signature in black ink.
- Caste certificate for reserved category and Disability Certificate for PwD category students.
- Ex-serviceman certificate for Ex-serviceman category learners. Class 8th mark sheets for secondary and class 10th mark sheets for senior secondary courses.
- Then review the form thoroughly and make sure all the details have been entered correctly. Otherwise, modify the form if required.
- Click on Submit and Generate OTP to validate the mobile number and email address with the OTP.
- If the filled form is found correct then process the payment and click on register. It will go to the acknowledgment page, take a hardcopy of it for future purposes.
After that, the learners can view their NIOS admission status online.
NIOS Admission Fee 2019-20
The learner who is seeking admission in NIOS must pay the admission fee online to complete the admission process. Refer the table below to know the admission fee for NIOS 2019-20.
|Class/Course||General Category||Exempted Category|
|Male||Female||SC/ST, Ex-Servicemen, Pw.D|
|Secondary or Class 10|
|For 5 subjects||Rs.1800||Rs.1450||Rs.1200|
|For each additional subjects||Rs.720||Rs.720||Rs.720|
|Higher Secondary or Class 12|
|For 5 subjects||Rs.2000||Rs.1650||Rs.1300|
|For each additional subjects||Rs.720||Rs.720||Rs.720|
- The admission fee can only be paid online through Debit Card/Credit Card/Net Banking.
- No Demand Draft/Bank Draft/Cash/Cheque or any other payment mode is acceptable.
- Admission can not be done by any Agencies/Cyber Cafe or any other institutes recognized by NIOS.
- Apart from these, the learner has to pay extra Rs. 50/- as the cost of the online application form.
NIOS Exam Fee 2019-20
- The learners who are attending the secondary and higher secondary exam have to fill the application form.
- Then they must pay the exam fee after getting confirmation of the admission.
- Exam fees must be paid separately, not with an admission fee. NIOS Block I exam fee will be paid in November / December.
- Whereas the NIOS Block II exam fee will be paid in February / March.
- Exam fees can only be paid online through credit card/ debit card/ net banking.
NIOS Admit Card Details
- NIOS admit card will be available online to download in March 2019.
- Learners have to enter their enrollment numbers to download separate admit cards for practical and theory examination.
- NIOS admit card contains learner and exam center details.
- Exam center will be allotted to learners as per their selection at the time of filling the exam form.
- Finally, NIOS will decide the allotment of the exam center. Once it is allotted any request for changing it will not be considered.
- Admit card is an important document that needs to be carried by the learner to sit in the exam.
NIOS Question Paper Details
Learners who are preparing for NIOS secondary and senior secondary exams can practice the previous year’s question papers. From question papers, learners will get the information of marking scheme, type, and difficulty of the questions asked in the exam. Learners can evaluate their preparation within a certain time interval to reduce the exam pressure. NIOS question papers will be available online in pdf format to download and practice whenever required.
NIOS Exam Result 2019-20
NIOS releases the online result for secondary and senior secondary courses. Learners can check their results by entering their enrollment number. NIOS Block I Result releases in June month whereas Block II result in December month. NIOS secondary result releases along with the senior secondary result.
NIOS Syllabus Details
Learners can prepare from the various topics of subjects recommended in the NIOS syllabus. Learners can check the complete syllabus of the chosen subjects and plan the preparation accordingly. NIOS secondary syllabus includes the subjects of 10th class. Learners can check the NIOS senior secondary syllabus to get information about exam pattern, preparation tactics, etc.
NIOS Education Programmes 2019-20
NIOS provides the following programs to learners who have chosen admission in NIOS and continue their education.
Open Basic Education (OBE)
Learners will get basic education under this program and are similar to other affiliated recognized schools. The OBE is categorized into three levels.
- OBE ‘A’ level course similar to class III
- OBE ‘B’ level course similar to class V
- OBE ‘C’ level course similar to class VIII
NIOS academic courses are categorized into two levels.
- Secondary Course similar to class X
- Senior Secondary Course similar to class XII
Vocational Education Courses
NIOS offers various vocational education courses to teach learners about target skills in different fields such as Business, Accounts & Commerce, Agriculture & Animal Husbandry, IT & Technology, Engineering & Architecture, Health & Paramedical Science, Home Science, Hospitality Management, Teachers Training, etc. More than 100 types of vocational courses are available in NIOS. Within this learners can choose some courses according to their interest.
Life Enrichment Programmes
Women empowerment, Yoga & Meditation, Indian music, etc. comes under life enrichment programs offered by NIOS.
FAQ’s on NIOS Admission
Why are learners looking for NIOS admission?
If any learners are not getting admission in recognized schools due to some economic, social or any other problems then they can seek admission in NIOS. Also, learners who are working can seek admission in NIOS for continuing their study to avail the formal schooling facility.
What is the age limit for admission in NIOS Secondary and Senior Secondary course?
The minimum age of the learner must be 14 years as on July 31, 2019, for the secondary course. Whereas it must be 15 years as on July 31, 2019, for the senior secondary course.
What is the educational qualification required for admission in secondary and senior secondary courses?
Learners must have completed class 8th for admission in secondary courses and class 10th for admission in senior secondary courses.
Is birth certificate required in NIOS admission?
Yes, a valid birth certificate is required to submit as the date of birth proof. A birth certificate issued by a municipal corporation, village panchayat or Govt. of India will be considered as a valid proof.
What documents are required to be submitted in NIOS admission?
Aadhar card or passport or ration card for identity proof. Birth Certificate for checking the date of birth. Valid residential Address proof (Aadhaar card/Water Bill/Electricity Bill/Voter Id/Ration card). Recent passport size color photo with the signature in black ink. Caste certificate for reserved category and Disability Certificate for PwD category students. Ex-serviceman certificate for Ex-serviceman category learners. Class 8th mark sheets for secondary and class 10th mark sheets for senior secondary courses.
Hope this article will help you to get information about NIOS Admission 2019-20. For any queries in NIOS Admission, leave your queries in the comment box to get in touch with us.