NCERT Solutions for Class 10 English Main Course Book Unit 1 Health and Medicine Chapter 3 “Whopping Walter” Hudson are part of NCERT Solutions for Class 10 English Main Course Book. Here we have given CBSE Class 10 English Main Course Book Unit 1 Health and Medicine Chapter 3 “Whopping Walter” Hudson.
CBSE Class 10 English Main Course Book Unit 1 Health and Medicine Chapter 3 “Whopping Walter” Hudson
You probably know the meanings of the words workaholic and alcoholic. What do you think a foodaholic is ? Walter Hudson was one. How much do you weigh ? Walter Hudson weighed more, much more. This is his obituary.
Alcoholic means a person addicted to drinking. Workaholic means a person who is addicted to working, that is, who has made work his addiction. Similarly, a foodaholic is a person who has made eating a habit, a passion of his life.
I weigh about 50 kg.
Copy and complete the following table, using information from the boxes below.
(Draw a X if there is no information to put in certain boxes.)
Find words in the passage from the paragraphs indicated within brackets and complete the following sentences. Use only one word, in its appropriate form, in each blank.
- Some people are so ________ to their work that they have no time for their family. (para-2)
- Harshad’s corrupt practices soon gained him ________ in the city. (para-2)
- When a person is dehydrated, he should be given ________ amounts of fluid. (para-6)
- He visited various vintage car rallies because he had a ________ for old cars. (para-7)
- If you over-eat and do not exercise, you will become ________ (para-9)
- The driver had to ________ the winding road to the mountain top with caution. (para-8)
- The new literacy programme ________ a 20% increase in the literacy rate over the next two years. (para-11)
(a) Arrange the following words associated with eating on a scale ranging from ‘peck’ to ‘gorge’. You may add more words to the list given below :
Have a class discussion…
1. What do you think life was really like for Walter Hudson ? Was he happy ? Did he have many friends ? Think of the things that you do everyday : what things could Walter not do ? Also, what about clothes, chairs, a bed, washing himself…
2. Why do you think he did not go on a serious diet when he was much younger, so that he could live a fuller life ?
3. What advice would you have given Walter on his diet ?
4. Where do you think he got the money from to eat so much food ?
5. Who do you think bought and cooked all the food he ate ? Were they also to blame for Walter’s obesity ?
The following is an entry in Walter’s diary :
Write the next day’s entry in Walter’s diary. Make up information, in order to make your entry interesting.
Now, read the following telephone conversation which took place between Radhika and Gaurish. As Gaurish wishes to leave home immediately, he will not be able to meet his parents who have gone to the market. He leaves a message for his parents. Write the message for Gaurish in not more than 40 words.
We hope the NCERT Solutions for Class 10 English Main Course Book Unit 1 Health and Medicine Chapter 3 “Whopping Walter” Hudson help you. If you have any query regarding CBSE Class 10 English Main Course Book Unit 1 Health and Medicine Chapter 3 “Whopping Walter” Hudson, drop a comment below and we will get back to you at the earliest.