Invitation and Replies Class 12 Format, Examples
To invite someone for an occasion, we use the written form Invitation.
Invitations are generally printed cards through which we invite our guests on some auspicious occasions like wedding, birthday, wedding anniversary, house warming, the inauguration of a shop/factory, etc.
♦ Invitations are of two types:
(a) Formal and
These can be printed on cards or can be drafted in the form of letters.
♦ Main Characteristics:
An invitation is a complete information. It answers the questions: who, whom, when, where, what time and for what. The important components of an invitation, therefore, are:
- Name(s) of the invitee(s)
- Name(s) of the host(s)
- Date, time and venue.
- Name(s) of the chief guest or special invitees, in case of an official invitation.
♦ Format of Formal Invitations:
In case of formal invitations, each of the following is written in a separate line with fonts of varying sizes.
- Names of the hosts
- Name of the invitee (in case of a formal letter of invitation)
- Formal phrase of invitation, for example:
Request the pleasure your benign presence/company Seek your auspicious presence
Solicit your gracious presence on the auspicious occasion
- Date, time and venue of the event
- Occasion/ reason of the invitation.
♦ Characteristics of Formal Invitations:
1. Meant for a lot of invitees:
- These are written in the third person
- In case a VIP is invited as the chief guest, the name of the VIP must appear prominently.
- Name of the invitee is not to be included. The addressee’s address is to be written only on the envelope.
- Simple present tense is to be used.
- The date of writing is not to be given.
- There is no signature of the host.
- The abbreviation RSVP (French: repondez silvers plait) i.e. ‘Please reply’ is written below on the left side with name(s), address and phone number of the host(s).
- Put the invitation into a box.
- Do not exceed 50 words.
2. Meant for an individual (a formal letter of invitation)
- Include the name of the invitee.
- These are to be written on run-on lines. The sentence is not broken into different words/phrases.
- Other details are similar to the mass-scale invitations.
♦ Writing Informal Invitations:
- Written in a letter form, in an informal format. Such letters are very persuasive in nature.
- Written in the first person.
- Salutation is ‘dear + name’.
- Complimentary close ‘Yours sincerely’.
- Date of writing the invitation is given.
- Sender’s address appears on the left-hand side.
- Various tenses used to suit the sense.
Replies Accepting or Declining
Formal Follow a set formula:
- formal words: ‘kind invitation’, ‘great pleasure’, ‘regret’, etc.
- Use third person (‘they’) instead of first person (T, ‘We’)
- Address of the writer and the date to be written.
♦ Informal – Accepting or Declining
- Like an ordinary letter
- Do not use any formal expressions, but use informal words and expressions
- Use first person (‘I’, ‘We’).
♦ Previous Years’ CBSE Examination Questions
♦ Short Answer Type Questions
As Secretary of the Literary Club of St. Anne’s School, Ahmedabad, draft a formal invitation in not more than 50 words for the inauguration of the club in your school. (Delhi 2009)
St. Anne’s School
We cordially invite all staff, students and parents for the inauguration of the Literary Club of the School on 29th July between 8.30 a.m. to 11.30 a.m. within the school premises. Well, known novelist, Mr Sandeep Kumar will be our Chief Guest. You all are also requested to join us in the auditorium for tea and snacks after the inauguration ceremony.
The literary club of your school is putting up the play ‘Waiting for Godot’. As secretary of the club, draft an invitation inviting the famous writer Sudeesh Gupta to be the guest of honour at the function. Write the invitation in not more than 50 words. You are Govind/Gauri. (All India 2014)
February 20, 20xx
Mr. Sudesh Gupta
Dear SirSubject: Invitation as Chief Guest
The Literary club of our school is putting up the play ‘Waiting for Godot’ on 17th January, 20xx in our school auditorium from 9-10 am. On behalf of our club, I would like to extend a cordial invitation to you to be the guest of honour at the function. It would be our privilege if you consent to grace this occasion with your esteemed presence.Gauri
Secretary (Literary Club)
As the principal of a reputed college, you have been invited to inaugurate a Book Exhibition in your neighbourhood. Draft a reply to the invitation in not more than 50 words, expressing your inability to attend the function. You are Tarun/Tanvi. (All India 2014)
Reply To Invitation:
Subject: Inability to accept the Invitation Sir
You have received an invitation to be the judge for a literary competition in St. Ann’s School. Send a reply in not more than 50 words, confirming your acceptance. You are Mohan/Mohini. (All India)
16, XYZ Lane
Subject: Acceptance of invitation for judging the literary competition.
Sunrise Global School, Agra is going to organize a one-act play competition in the school auditorium. You have decided to invite noted stage artiste, Nalini to grace the occasion. Draft a formal invitation for her in about 50 words. You are Karuna/Karan, Cultural Secretary. (Delhi 2016)
The Principal, Staff And Teachers
On 30th November your school is going to hold its annual sports day. You want Mr. Dhanraj Pillai, a noted hockey player to give away the prizes to the budding sportspersons of the school. Write a formal invitation in about 50 words requesting him to grace the occasion. You are Karun^/Karan, Sports Secretary, Sunrise Global School, Agra. (All India)
Sunrise Global School
Your friend, P.V. Sathish, has invited you to attend the wedding of his sister, Jaya. You find that you have an important paper of pre-board examination on the day of the wedding. Thus you cannot attend the event. Write in about 50 words a formal reply to the invitation expressing your regret. You are PuneeV Puneeta Vij, M 114, Fort Road, Chennai. (All India 2017)
|15th January, 20xx
Thank you P.V. Sathish for your kind invitation to the wedding of your sister, Jaya on 23rd January, 20xx. I regret my inability to attend as I have an important pre-board examination on the day of the wedding. Wishing the newly wedded couple a very happy married life. Best wishes Puneet
M-114, Fort Road, Chennai