One of the most challenging subjects for class 10 students is social science. However, it is a subject that doesn’t require hard efforts to learn formulas and theories. If you’re preparing for this subject well in advance so there is a high possibility to score good marks. Social science is an interesting and easy to score subjects that can help you gain good marks.
Class 10 Social Science- Overview
The subject is divided into four parts i.e. History, Geography, Civics and Economics. You are required to remember important dates and names of leaders across centuries for short answers type questions and it is advised to make full-fledged notes for attempting lengthy questions and increase your chances to score full marks for your answer. This post will give you the best idea on how to prepare for the social science exam as we wish you the best of luck for your board examinations.
Class 10 Social Science- Exam pattern
The exam pattern set by CBSE for the social scient examination is as follows:
The exam consists of 80 marks-divided into 3 sections.
- Section A consists of the one-liner, MCQ, and fills in the blanks type questions.
- Section B consists of short answer type questions in which students have to answer the question in 80-90 words.
- Section C consists of long answer type questions having a word limit of 120-130 words.
- In section C, you will find a map question in which you have to mark the location on the map. It is one of the most scoring questions for every student.
Class 10th social science board exam is divided into 3 sections and also one or two map questions. Section A consists of 20 questions of 1 mark each, Section B consists of 8 questions of 3 marks each and Section C consists of 6 questions of 5 marks each and a map question with a weightage of 5 marks.
Class 10 Social Science– Subjects
Social science is divided into 4 parts i.e. history, geography, economics and political science. Each part contains 6-7 chapters and that’s why students find it difficult to cover the entire syllabus if they decide to study at the last minute. Here is the list of the important chapters which help the students score good marks in the final examination. Since social science is a theory-based subject, it is important to understand the topics and concepts from the core.
- Nationalism in India
- Print culture
- Novel chapter in History
- Mineral and energy resources
- Manufacturing industries
- Challenges to Democracy
- Popular struggles and parties
- Gender, religion, and caste
- Sectors of the economy
- Money and credit
- Consumer rights
- Globalization and the Indian economy
Class 10 Social Science– Reference books
NCERT is the book that guides students to understand the topics from their core essence. But if the student finds it difficult to understand the concept of NCERT books then these are a few reference books that help students to score good marks.
- Exam idea by Editorial board
- Golden guide for SST by Sudha Rastogi, J.P. Singhal
- S. Chand of social science
- NCERT Economics
Tips To Score Good Marks In Class 10 Social Science Examination
If you want to score good marks in the class 10 social science board exam, then these tricks and tips will help you score good marks. Here is a list of some tips for the preparation for the social science board exam:
- Go through the heading of the answer. It is very difficult for a student to cramp up the entire answer, so to ease the pressure, always try to remember the headings.
- Always make the time table according to the topics. If you are good at geography, then try to give more time to history or economics or vice-e-versa.
- Do not start with a new chapter on the day of the exam. Try to avoid this because this will lead to confusion, thus poor performance in the examination.
FAQs on Class 10 Social Science examination
Q 1. How to prepare for the map question?
Answer. The map question can be asked from the history topics or mostly it comes from the geography chapters such as the name of the wildlife or name of the river, or location of an important war.
Q 2. Which part is more scoring in social science subject?
Answer. Social science consists of different parts. Each part has equal weightage in the exam. However, the subject which interests the student the most remains the most beneficial.
Q 3. Are reference books necessary for the preparation of the examination?
Answer. Reference books are recommended only when the student can’t understand the concept of NCERT and if the student wants to practice previous year’s question papers.