Is Matter Around Us Pure – CBSE Notes for Class 9 Science
Facts that Matter
Compound is a pure substance made up of two or more elements combined chemically in a definite ratio.
1. The properties of compound differ from those of its constituents.
2. Compound has fixed melting point and boiling point.
3. Compound is a homogeneous substance.
4. Constituent elements can be separated by chemical process.
It is made up of two or more elements or compounds mixed in any ratio/proportion.
• It may be homogeneous or heterogeneous.
• The properties of constituent substances are retained.
• No new compound is formed.
• Elements can be separated by simple physical processes.
• It does not have fixed melting and boiling point.
Separation of Mixtures:
Physical and Chemical Change
It is a homogeneous mixture of two or more substances.
• Different Types of Colloids